Friday 19 December 2014

I Had Acne? | How I Cleared My Skin Up

Blogmas Day 19

This is going to be a little bit different today! I thought I would share with you my experience with acne and how I dealt with it, in the hope it may help others going through it or just for those of you who, like me, are just nosey! Let's start when I was 13. 

This is when I first started becoming aware I had spots on my face. At this age a young girls body using through so much is no wonder you get a few pimples. It was first pointed out to me by a boy in my class who asked me why I had spots. I had never really noticed too much before but after that I started to realise I did have quite a few on my face. My mum had noticed too and during the summer holidays booked me an appointment to see the doctor. When that day cam round though I really didn't want to go, I think purely from embarrassment so we went to boots and she got me a Clinique concealer instead so I could at least cover the red spots. Almost a year later and the concealer just wasn't doing enough so I upgraded to a Clinique foundation which I reapplied every hour or so lol! During this time I had also started to try out over the counter acne products like face wash and creams. I even went onto Pro active and had it shipped from America at an extortianat price to my mum, but nothing seemed to work. This went on for a few years, then by the time I was 16 I finally plucked up the dotage to go see the doctor. 

They started me off on the usual topical creams and then onto a few different tablets but nothing really worked, so I was referred onto a Dermatologist at the hospital. The thight of walking into his office with no makeup on terrified me but he needed to see my bare skin. My doctor was so good and made me feel reassured that we would be able to cure my acne. My kind of acne was not the large cyst acne most commonly associated with the term, but rather little pustules all under my skin which were really angry and inflamed and gave my skin an awful texture! He told me that skin conditions such as these are hereditary me since both my mum and dad had suffered as teens it was pretty inevitable I was suffering too. He first put me onto the pill along with a string of different tablets. I actually had an allergic reaction to one of the pills, tetracycline, and I got a red rash all over my body. 

After almost a year of seeing the dermatologist with no major improvements he said he was now time to move onto the stronger stuff. I was put on isotretinoin which is a stronger version of the common retinol tablets. Now I was told this ws serious stuff, I had to have blood tests to check my kidney and liver functions beforehand, have pregnancy tests every month since it can cause severe birth defects, and be monitored for depression. Not to mention you had to lather Vaseline EVERYWHERE even up your nose as it completely dries out all of your skin. And this stuff actually works! Within a couple of months my skin was looking so clear and smooth and he gave me a retinol cream as well to help with my scaring. In total I was on these meds for 6 months since you do 6 months then have a break, then if your acne returns you have a second dose. Luckily for me my acne stayed away! 

And it still has to this day! I now only get the odd spot around that time of the month but they are never anything major and only one at a time. My lips suffered from chronic dryness when I was on the medication and are still very dry to this day, but I've found a miracle product in car ex to deal with that! And as for my skin care routine! Well that's a different post! 

All I can say for those suffering with acne at the moment is it will get better. I was told I would grow out of my bad skin and ten years on from first getting spots I have finally grown out of them ha! If you're not happy keep on at your doctor and get refered as the dermatologists really do want to help you. 

I'm up for chats if anyone has any other questions or need advice, just drop me an email!

Hope you have enjoyed this post

Until next time, 


1 comment :

  1. They started me off on the usual topical creams and then onto a few different tablets but nothing really worked, so I was referred onto a Dermatologist at the hospital. The thight of walking into his office with no makeup on terrified me but he needed to see my bare skin. My doctor was so good and made me feel reassured that we would be able to cure my acne. pakistani designer suits , pakistani designer lawn , lawn dresses stitching designs , buy lawn suits online , pakistani lawn brands , lawn dress design , suiting brands in pakistan , lawn fabric online My kind of acne was not the large cyst acne most commonly associated with the term, but rather little pustules all under my skin which were really angry and inflamed and gave my skin an awful texture! He told me that skin conditions such as these are hereditary me since both my mum and dad had suffered as teens it was pretty inevitable I was suffering too. He first put me onto the pill along with a string of different tablets. I actually had an allergic reaction to one of the pills, tetracycline, and I got a red rash all over my body.

    ReplyDelete